Smiles by Dr. Patel in Ajax provides comprehensive dental services for the whole family, meaning you can get all of your dental needs taken care of in one place – our office in Ajax. We accept patients of all ages, from kids to the elderly.
Preventative Dental Care
Preventative care is the best way to make sure that your teeth, and the teeth of your loved ones, are healthy for the long run. Children can get dental care as soon as teeth emerge, resulting in good oral health maintained by regular visits to our dental office in Ajax. We can provide appointments and treatments at convenient times, working with your schedule, and making the process more convenient.
Your dentist at Smiles by Dr. Patel in Ajax believes that many dental problems can be prevented before they arise. When dental problems progress, they become more painful and uncomfortable and require dental treatments. There are ways to ensure that these treatments will not become necessary. Preventive dentistry at Smiles by Dr. Patel in Ajax includes procedures that are used to prevent and minimize tooth decay along with other diseases that threaten the health of your teeth in their earliest stages.
Preventative dental procedures at Smiles by Dr. Patel include:
Professional dental cleanings: A dental prophylaxis is performed to thoroughly clean the teeth and gums. This treatment is important for stopping the progression of gingivitis and periodontal disease. The benefits include:
- Plaque removal: Tartar and plaque buildup can result in serious periodontal problems. Unfortunately, even with a proper brushing and flossing routine, it can be impossible to remove all debris and bacteria from gum pockets. The experienced eye of a dentist or hygienist using dental equipment is necessary to catch potentially damaging buildup.
- A healthier looking smile: Stained and yellowed teeth can dramatically decrease the look of a smile.
- Fresher breath: Bad breath is generally indicative of gum and periodontal disease. The routine removal of plaque, calculus, and bacteria can improve halitosis and reduce gum infection.
We recommend that dental cleaning be performed twice annually as a preventative measure, but should be completed every 3-4 months for patients who suffer from periodontal issues. It should be noted that gum disease cannot be completely reversed, but dental cleaning is one of the tools Dr. Patel in Ajax can use to effectively halt or minimize its progression.
- Dental sealants: When teeth erupt in the mouth, they can have deep pits and fissures on chewing/occlusal part of them. These areas can be sealed, and it helps prevent future decay. Please contact our office to ask the staff what age is appropriate for your child to have this procedure done.
- Fluoride: As this naturally-occurring mineral helps to strengthen teeth enamel, when it is applied to the teeth surfaces, it makes them more resistant to decay. Dr. Patel can assess individual needs for a fluoride treatment and can also prescribe fluoride toothpaste when necessary to high decay prone individuals.
- Sports guards: It keeps the teeth protected during high-impact physical activities, such as football and boxing. They absorb and distribute forces of impact to minimize injury to the hard and soft tissues in the mouth.
- Oral cancer screenings: Oral exam for signs of oral cancer in both smokers and non-smokers; early detection is beneficial in the success of treatment for oral cancer.
- Digital X-rays: Dental X-rays are helpful to reveal signs of disease that are not visible to the naked eye. X-rays can be used at Smiles by Dr. Patel to diagnose tooth decay, bone density, bone volume. We use digital X-rays to minimize the radiation with appropriate X-ray shields.
- Mouth guards are used for several different purposes, but they all have about the same design: a formed piece of material that is worn over or between the teeth. Mouth guards protect the teeth from harm caused by sports or bruxism (teeth grinding during sleep). When a mouth guard is used during sleep, it’s called a night guard.